Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Walk to Stop Modern Slavery


Last spring, as part of an assignment for my Child Victimization class with Dr. Lindahl, I saw a documentary entitled, “Sex + Money: A National Search for Human Worth.” This is one of those films that changed the way I think forever. It documents the human trafficking trade in the United States. Yes, there is human trafficking in the United States. I was just as shocked as you! If you get a chance to see the documentary, do it. It is so eye opening.

So, after seeing this film, I’ve been getting more involved in the movement to stop modern slavery. This movement pretty much got its start in DC, so what better place to be? There are so many different organizations in this area that work to change the policy concerning trafficking and helping the victims—Courtney’s House, Polaris Project, and Shared Hope International (just to name a few). All of these different organizations converge on the Washington Monument once a year for DC’s Walk to Stop Modern Slavery. And this year, my friend/roommate Ashley and I attended, and boy were we glad we did! It was such an incredible and inspiring day. We heard from so many survivors of domestic and sex trafficking. Listening to them not only made me thankful I’ve never had to endure that, but it also made me angry that this was happening. As a result, I became motivated to help stop it.
That's me on the right!

Before the walk, there’s a great resource fair so you can go around and talk to all the different organizations and see how you fit in, what talents you can bring, and how you can help stop modern slavery. I learned about so many more fantastic organizations and businesses, like Freeset Global. They have the cutest bags, and they can do custom-made bags and t-shirts for events. But the best part is that the people making these items are women who have gotten out of the sex trade industry in Kolkata. Freeset not only provides them with a fair wage and a better-than-decent working environment, but also with education! There’s also the Nomi Network, who operates similarly to Freeset. They also work toward providing jobs and education for trafficking survivors with their “Buy Her Bag, Not Her Body” campaign. Check both of these out, and buy their stuff!! Christmas is coming up, right??


I could go on and on and on about all the great organizations and people dedicating their lives to the movement to stop modern slavery here in the U.S., and abroad, but that would make this post very, very long. I’ll just finish up with this…when you find something that you’re really passionate about, become a part of the solution to it. A couple of years ago, I would have heard about the walk and thought, “Oh, that’s nice”, and that would have been the end of it. But, not anymore! I’m determined to become a volunteer for someone who’s working to stop modern slavery (when I have more time…school always gets in the way!). So, find your cause, and do something about it. You’ll feel so much better when you do!

Ok. That’s it for now kids…see you on the flip side!
Katelyn

Ok one more thing…since it’s DC, we got some Lao food from a food truck after the Walk…just another reason to get involved!


No comments:

Post a Comment