Friday, September 14, 2012

Adjusting to the Big City Life


‘Tis the season- -fall semester, football, and everyone’s favorite Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Lattes are back.  After being transplanted in Arlington, VA after living in Lincoln, NE for my 22 years of life, I finally am feeling more like a resident and less like a tourist.  I have visited every Smithsonian, ran in the Cherry Blossom 10 miler (along with 15,000 other people), experienced Jazz in the Garden, enjoyed 4th of July on the National Mall, toured many Virginia wineries, and tasted the endless variety of food the District has to offer. 

My greatest adjustment that had to be made was transportation as a whole.  Nebraska doesn’t have the following:  (1) a metro, (2) rush hour, that in tales sitting in heavy traffic, or (3) HOV.  Needless to say, I was the one on the metro who always tried to grab a window seat so I could see each stop- -thus, lessening my chances of missing my stop and having to back track.  I was also the one who had to understand the concept of how long it would really take to drive somewhere that was only 3 miles away.  And the big kicker was figuring out what HOV stands for…still haven’t been ticketed yet…(knock on wood). 

Since I am a true Nebraskan, I do and always will have a loyalty to my Nebraska Cornhusker football team.  With saying that, when I am not studying or writing papers you can find me watching my favorite football team.  On my to-do list this fall is to watch a Nebraska Cornhusker football game at Union Pub.  Union Pub is a bar located in Washington, DC that hosts Nebraska football fans!!  If you are reading this and are one of my near and dear Cornhusker fans please contact me!

Happy Football Season!!

Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment