Friday, September 14, 2012

The Three F's of September


September is easily my favorite month of the year, and not only because I was born on the 7th of September.  I love what I have termed the Three F's of September, and this year they are making their appearance right on time.

Perhaps you have noticed the weather over the past week?  I certainly have, and I am pleased to report that the first installment of fall weather is upon us.  Technically, we have to wait until September 21st to officially welcome the greatest season of the year into our lives, but I'm going to unapologetically jump the gun this year.  Welcome back, Fall!  We're glad you have returned, old friend.  Right now I am looking out the window of the temporary GA office in Gailhac just imagining the beauty of the trees when the leaves change in a small matter of weeks.  Hopefully you find a moment or two and notice the change with me.

I am in a particularly good mood this week because for the first time in nearly 10 months, my football team won a game.  I was rather ornery last fall during the 10 game losing streak suffered by my beloved Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but, for one week at least, it's puppy dogs and rainbows as I walk from Reinsch to Rowley and ride from Main House to Ballston.  Of course, we don't have football here at MU, but that just leaves us all with more time for football in general.  Hopefully your team does well this season, unless they play my team.  Trust me, I'm much easier to get along with when my team wins.

The last of the fabled Three F's is probably my favorite.  It comes every year with the opening of campuses across our nation, and it is what I consider the Holy Grail of each day I spend on this (or any other) campus: free food.  Yes, folks, it's that time of year when every organization is competing for your presence and mine.  And all of them know that the best way to get the cheapskates like you and me in the door is to give away delicious food with questionable nutritional value.  In the past week, I have enjoyed three meals for a little over an hour of time spent listening to or participating with a campus organization.  It's a far cry from my prolific undergrad years when I could sometimes go weeks without paying for food, but, as a poor college student like the rest of you, every little bit helps. 

That's all for this week, gang.  Remember, enjoy fall, football, and free food this September.  

~ Ben 

No comments:

Post a Comment